The basic advice is, if you employ anyone, family member or not, you should keep full records of the work done. If you do this, and pay the going rate, not an inflated amount, for a proper job of work, then it should be accepted. Paying directly through your bank accounts would help also.
Here's a quick check list if you are thinking of paying an assistant:
· Ensure you keep an accurate record of payments made and the work done
· Bear in mind a PAYE scheme may be needed
· Remember employer obligations
· You can pay a family member
· If you employ a family member, you may need to justify the work done.
Next time I'll be looking again at the implications of work clothing, whether you can claim as a photographer for specialist gear.
By Julian Shaw, TWD Accountants.
Have you got a topic or tax question you want us to cover?
Then email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Societies of Photographers Convention and Trade Show at The Novotel London West, Hammersmith ...
You have 265 days until The Societies of Photographers Convention starting on Wednesday 16th March 2022